The Lakeview Condos in historic St. Augustine Florida date back to the late 1800s. The Lakeview building was constructed between 1885-1893 by the firm of McGuire and McDonald, famously known for constructing the Ponce De Leon Hotel. Both structures were built by Standard Oil tycoon, Henry Flagler; the Ponce as a luxury hotel and the Lakeview building as the male staff quarters for the hotel. Originally, the Lakeview building was referred to as the “Ponce De Leon barracks.”
Fast forward to 2004 when the building was purchased and developed into luxury condominiums. Lakeview sits on the edge of Lake Maria Sanchez in a prime area of town just blocks off the heart of the old city.
October 2016 brought powerful hurricane Matthew to the area, which flooded the historic district of America’s oldest city as it passed at high tide. Sadly, the Lakeview building took on five inches of water from Lake Sanchez. Goodwin worked closely with the owners association to replace the original heart pine flooring. Most units were restored using River-Recovered Heart Pine Character or Antique Longleaf pine. Much of the replacement heart pine was either 2-1/2″ or 3-1/4″. The 800-1000sf units are now light and airy living spaces with wonderful architectural transoms over the doors and arched passageway. Goodwin is always most pleased when we can be a part of historic restorations.