Curly – Figure Like no other Burl Wood in the World
Specifications, Characteristics, and Milling
Lengths: Up to 12’ available
Heart content: Variable; may contain some sap wood
Grades available: Extremely curly, burled grain; also known as Rosemary Pine
- Also known as rosemary or burly heart pine, at least 8 growth rings per inch. Knots rare. Heart content variable. Often found only in the outer board of one out of every 400+/- river recovered logs.
- Standard sizes are ¾ by 2-1/2”, 3-1/4”, 5-1/4”, 7”
River-Recovered Heart Pine is the same quality that was last available to your grandparents or great grandparents. Because we have the whole logs we can provide wider widths and longer lengths.
Most of the river recovered logs have ax cut ends. These were the first logs to be cut closest to the river banks. When the steam engine arrived down South in the mid-1880s men switched from axes to two man cross cut saws to cut the trees faster .
Many river logs have ‘cat faces’ or marks where the tree was scraped to collect oleoresin for making turpentine. This often caused the tree to bulk up in resin content making even harder more durable wood.
Antique River-Recovered® Curly Heart Pine is extremely rare and features burled grain found only in one out of every 300 to 400 logs pulled from the river. It is an amazing wood that never fails to turn heads.
- Lustrous red tones and holographic, three-dimensional look
- Perfect for inlay, cabinet doors, newel posts and unique furniture
- Some mineral streaking and considerable burled or lacy grain
- 100 percent heartwood
- At least 8 growth rings per inch
- Knots rare, no pin knots over ½” and no pitch pockets over 1/8” wide
- 1225 on the Janka scale comparable to red oak (1290) & 29 percent more stable
- Flooring and paneling, widths from 2-1/4″ to 9” face
- Treads, solid/laminated 11-1/4”
- Lumber and slabs up to 2″ x 18″ (not all dimensions are available all of the time due to the extreme rarity of the grade)
- Architectural millwork is full thickness, e.g., Crown: 3/4×5-1/2”
- Flooring is ordered by the square foot and is trimmed to provide 100 percent usable material for the grade. Standard lengths are random from 1′ to 12′ and standard milling is tongue and groove in ‘flooring match’ with more wood above the tongue, a back relief pattern and a nail groove to ease installation.
- Paneling standard lengths are 3′ and longer and milling is available in V-joint, Single-bead or Double-bead or custom.
- stair parts include handrail, treads, balusters, newels, newel caps, stringers and risers and come in many antique patterns as well as all standard ones.
- Architectural millwork is full dimension and is based on the 8000 series patterns last published in 1925. Goodwin offers a complete line of mouldings including base, shoe, cover or scotia, crown, step, picture, panel, thresholds, quarter round, casings, rosettes, picture frame, reeded and more.
- Custom milling patterns and specific lengths are available for an additional cost.
Grades of Heart Pine
Learn about Heart Pine
How may we help you?
Call (800) 336-3118
“The heart cypress on the front of my entry way vanity is some of the prettiest wood in the world.” Russ Morash, Boston, MA
“We are constantly getting comments on how beautiful our floor is and everyone loves the story behind where the wood came from.”Denise Goss, Santa Cruz, CA
“Goodwin’s wood has an amazing luster you can’t get with a finish. It comes with an inner beauty that shines through and can’t be reproduced. I love Goodwin’s quality and look.” Peggy Gilder, Interior Designer, Pacific Palisades, CA
“From the first contact we found ourselves treated like friends rather than customers. As Mary told you, we are proud to show our beautiful floors to our admiring guest. We think of George and his company as friends.”Robert and Maryc Ryals, McLeran House B&B, Wellborn, FL