Select Grain Displays Cathedral Arches with Graceful Grain MovementSpecifications, Characteristics, and Milling
Specifications, Characteristics, and Milling
Widths: 3”-10” (up to 12”, if available)
Lengths: 2’-12’ for flooring; 3’-12’ for paneling (longer lengths by availability)
Heart content: 100% heart face
Grades available: Arching, cathedral grain pattern
- Arching grain with pinstripes along the edges of most boards, 100% heart content, a few knots, none over 1-1/4”, and at least 8 growth rings average per inch, lengths 2’ to 12’, average 5’ to 7’
- Can be ordered in ‘clear’ grade with only occasional ‘pin knots’, none over ½’
- Standard sizes are ¾ by 2-1/2”, 3-1/4”, 5-1/4”,7”, 9”
- 1220 on the Janka hardness scale, equivalent to Red Oak
River-Recovered Heart Pine is the same quality that was last available to your grandparents or great grandparents. Because we have the whole logs we can provide wider widths and longer lengths.
Most of the river recovered logs have ax cut ends. These were the first logs to be cut closest to the river banks. When the steam engine arrived down South in the mid-1880s men switched from axes to two man cross cut saws to cut the trees faster .
Many river logs have ‘cat faces’ or marks where the tree was scraped to collect oleoresin for making turpentine. This often caused the tree to bulk up in resin content making even harder more durable wood.
Antique River-Recovered® Select Heart Pine features a cathedral arching grain with a border of vertical pinstripe grain. Wider widths are available.
Highly popular, this is the beautiful, durable wood that built America. Consider that the heart pine in Washington’s Mount Vernon home and Jefferson’s Monticello home is more than 250 years old, yet is in top condition and walked on every day.
Goodwin antique heart pine is guaranteed to be at least 200 to 500 years old, which means it is 100% heart wood and has the highest level of hardness and durability.
- Luminous, vibrant color…copper to burgundy tones
- Arching grain patterns in the center with 75 to 85 percent vertical grain pattern depending upon width
- 100 percent heartwood
- At least 8 growth rings per inch
- No pitch pockets over 1/8” wide and no face knots over 1-1/4”
- 1225 on the Janka scale comparable to red oak (1290) & 29 percent more stable Dimensions
- Flooring and paneling, widths from 2-1/4″ to 9″ face or custom
- Treads, solid/laminated 11-1/4″ wide
- Lumber up to 2-1/2″ x 12″ wide
- Beams up to 12″ x 12″ wide
- Architectural millwork is full thickness, e.g., Crown: ¾” deep x 5-1/2” wide
- Flooring is ordered by the square foot and is trimmed to provide 100 percent usable material for the grade.
- Standard lengths are random from 1′ to 12′
- Standard milling is tongue and groove in ‘flooring match’ with more wood above the tongue, a back relief pattern and a nail groove to ease installation.
- Paneling standard lengths are 3′ and longer and milling is available in V-joint, single-bead or double-bead or custom.
- Stair parts include handrail, treads, balusters, newels, newel caps, stringers and risers and come in many antique patterns as well as all standard ones.
- Architectural millwork is full dimension and is based on the 8000 series patterns last published in 1925. Goodwin offers a complete line of mouldings including base, shoe, cover or scotia, crown, step, picture, panel, thresholds, quarter round, casings, rosettes, picture frame, reeded and more.
- Custom milling patterns and specific lengths are available for an additional cost.
Grades of Heart Pine
Learn about Heart Pine
How may we help you?
Call (800) 336-3118
“The heart cypress on the front of my entry way vanity is some of the prettiest wood in the world.” Russ Morash, Boston, MA
“We are constantly getting comments on how beautiful our floor is and everyone loves the story behind where the wood came from.”Denise Goss, Santa Cruz, CA
“Goodwin’s wood has an amazing luster you can’t get with a finish. It comes with an inner beauty that shines through and can’t be reproduced. I love Goodwin’s quality and look.” Peggy Gilder, Interior Designer, Pacific Palisades, CA
“From the first contact we found ourselves treated like friends rather than customers. As Mary told you, we are proud to show our beautiful floors to our admiring guest. We think of George and his company as friends.”Robert and Maryc Ryals, McLeran House B&B, Wellborn, FL